Friday, October 8, 2010

Speak the Truth in Love

Most of you who know me, and know me fairly well, know that I am not an outspoken person. You know that I tend to shy away from arguments, conflict and disagreements in general. You know that I prefer, almost more than anything, to keep the peace and make everyone happy. This past month I have found myself speaking out against things I normally would just shy away from. Things that I would normally just let each person have their own opinion and viewpoint about and simply agree to disagree. I have found myself in some heated and some not so heated discussions on varying topics. In the end I have been left to wonder if I should have ever said anything at all. Should I have spoken up and added my two cents, or should I have just shut up and not worried one bit about what was being said? Well, I won’t bother you with any of the details of the arguments, but there were three in particular that were controversial and I found myself not being able to stay quiet. One of the discussions I particularly struggled over whether or not to speak up. I actually prayed on and off all day and recalled to mind Psalm 19:14 many times, then toward the end of the day, I did decide to speak up. I am glad I did. It was regarding a subject that is near and dear to me and has affected my family and others around me, so I spoke my mind and tried to encourage others. My two cents may not have had a significant affect on anyone but me. I realized that it is okay, and even good, to speak up and even encourage others to seek the One who is Holy and seek to magnify Him and Him alone. Speak the truth in love, dear friends. If you can’t speak the truth in love, it is better to keep your lips sealed and not damage yourself and the friendships and acquaintances around you.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I think the Lord gives us the strength to stand against things we feel are not according to His will. It is okay for others to disagree, and there is no sense in arguing with anyone, but let His light shine through you. If one was offended, the Lord knows that was not your intention, and you can just pray and ask for forgiveness if needed. Love you...Keep letting your Light shine!