Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Putting all of your eggs...

...in one basket...

Okay, so don't ask me how, but I seemed to have ended up with about 4 dozen eggs in my fridge and have been meaning to do something with them all for the past week or so. I bought a lot of english muffins, sausage and bacon and I am going to try to put together some muffins and freeze them. Right now I have three different little egg casseroles going on in the oven. One has ham and cheese in it...just for Amber [sorry, J/K, my dear sis - n - law!], the others are plain old egg and a little seasoning. I have learned to fluff my eggs up a little bit with milk or water to the scramble, so these are light and fluffy looking so far! So, does anyone else have some constructive ways I can cook up the rest of these eggs before I go into the hospital? I can't stay on my feet for long at all, so I am a little limited!

Josiah has been a delight this morning wanting to "help you mommy?", and I realized I still must be doing too much around the house and on my feet if my 21 month old walks around saying, "Wanna clean, mommy?"! So, while I have been cooking, and in an effort to be close to Josiah because I am sad about being away from him for a few days, I filled up the kitchen sink with water, got his potty/stool out and have been letting him "help" wash dishes. This has been his most fun thing to do in the last couple of weeks. Yes, it is messy, but sometimes I realize there is going to have to be a little mess to clean up in order for everyone to have fun, right? Plus, this will occupy him for a LOT of time and it beats just putting him in front of the "boob tube" to drain his brain! I am blessed that he does not like TV too much anyway. Every now and then when I need a break, he will sit long enough to watch a 30 minute VeggieTales movie, sometimes Elmo and sometimes Winnie the Pooh. Other than this, he could care less and would rather be doing other things! I hope it stays that way!

Well, I have taken my mandatory rest and am going to do a few more things [I will get up and do something around the house for about 10 minutes or so, then come and sit down for 30...hey, don't knock it til you've tried it! :-) ].

4 comments:

Christiana said...

Do you like boiled eggs, or egg salad? You could boil them now and just keep in fridge till after baby comes.

I tried to leave a comment on your last post, but it didn't show up...love the new look for the blog and hope things go well on Friday!!

Love and prayers,

Christy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your prayers! Oooh, boiled eggs and egg salad sound like a great option and restful too! Thanks for the idea!

Kathy said...

You can actually freeze eggs -- my mom does it all the time. She usually does it when she makes something like angel food cake and has the yolks left over, or vice versa, so they're usually separated. You can also make and freeze some quiche. But check the expiration date on the eggs -- if they don't go out of date until near the end of the month, you may be able to just keep them in the fridge and use them later. Or give them away. Or throw them away. While I'm frugal and everything, it's just a couple of bucks for a dozen eggs, so it isn't worth getting your blood pressure and anxiety up over that! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kathy! You are right...it is not worth getting BP up! Thanks for the advice. I didn't know you could freeze the eggs, but I have made egg salad, boiled eggs, three egg casseroles, and two spinache quiches. I had a few eggs left over and made deviled eggs for Danny to take to church on Sunday...I will probably get scolded for that one by all of the ladies at church! Thanks again!