Monday, September 17, 2012

Week One, Day One of No computer/no TV challenge

Well, I made it through the day with no computer/no tv while the kids were asleep [okay, so they are not here right now, so that still counts, right?]. I can't tell you how many times I turned to go to the computer [okay, so I did turn on pandora and listen to music from the computer, but I did not sit down and vegetate at the computer and waste time!] and then turned back around and decided to do something else. Here are a few of the things I did instead: I began to prepare for dinner, I folded two loads of laundry, I changed three diapers for a stinky Mr. T, I played playdough with my daughter and the other kids, I washed dishes, I swept and mopped the kitchen floor, I filled out my fridge calendar for the rest of this month and this following month, and I did a few rows of crochet on a baby blanket. My husband woke up this afternoon and went on and on about how having the blinds up and the windows open makes the house look so much brighter and cleaner...no, dear, that is the cleaning I was doing [I love him, he is so sweet!]! So, Bethany asked me three times if she could watch a movie. I told her: "No, remember, this is no TV or computer week." She responded well when I suggested other things to do. One time I pulled out a slip of paper and told her we were going to do what the paper said, and it said to play playdough, so she was happy. When Josiah got off of the school bus, he said: "Momma, I'm not going to ask you if we can watch a movie, because it's no TV week, right? Well, I am going to ask you if we can do a piece of paper!" So, we went in, had snacks and Josiah got to pull three different pieces of paper for a TV alternative. He got to play on the front porch with Daddy, got to color and he got to play playdough also. I really, really enjoyed my computer free day, and I think I am even going to bed early tonight because I am exhausted!!! Happy TV/Computer free week, y'all!!! :-)

No comments: