Sunday, April 18, 2010

REAL SIMPLE

I love magazines that focus on family, organizing, cooking, crafting, children and the home. Danny came home one morning and brought me a huge box full of REAL SIMPLE magazines. I LOVE this magazine! This magazine has so many useful and helpful hints and tips and it inspires me to do better and think differently about things,especially about things in my home. As I read through these magazines, I think I am going to post some things here on my blog that others might deem useful and helpful. Here is some information from a REAL SIMPLE:FAMILY EDITION that I really enjoyed:

Q: How do you get your kids to pitch in around the house?

A: Each of the kids would draw a slip of paper and do their activity for 15 minutes

We leave a list of chores that need tending to on the kitchen counter, and each child writes their name to the ones they want to do. It is first come, first served.

We have a toy race.

Instead of saying, "Pick up your room," I say, "Hang up five shirts."

I give chores for the unreasonable arguments that break out in the house.

Every morning before they leave for school, they have to spend five minutes straightening their rooms.

I had each of my children a laundry basket and set them on a treasure hunt for items strewn around the house.

I assign each child a room to clean based on their personal preference, and they were responsible for that room every week.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Now, on the flip side, this question was asked to children of these same parents:

Q: How do you pitch in around the house?

A: I take all of my game boys and push them up against the wall.

I organize the socks.

I cook breakfast on Sunday mornings.

I help mom do the laundry and I set the table.

Whenever something is messy, I just pick it up and put it where it belongs.

At night I lay out what I am going to wear at school the next day.

I take out the garbage.

I make frozen macaroni and cheese by myself.

I take a shower every night.

I just try to stay out of the way.


The kids answers just tickled me! Right now, the kids are not quite old enough to do a lot of things around the house to help, but Josiah knows, before nap time and bedtime every day, it is time to put all of the toys away. Bethany is learning, and doing pretty good. Bethany, however thinks that putting the toys away means putting them in the kitchen sink...it is so cute. She will go and put something in the sink, and come back clapping and says, "Good job, Bet!". Josiah also is responsible for putting all of his dishes away, and he also puts his dirty clothes in the dirty pile. He also is responsible for picking up the food off of the floor after meals. Most of this he does with little prompting and I am proud of my little man.

How do you inspire your kids to help around the house? I would love to hear your answers!!!!!

1 comment:

Lepidoptera said...

In our family we tell the children that we are a team and that everyone needs to pitch in and help. We work together and do what we can. That is teamwork, and it is one of the things that makes our family work well!

It sounds like you are doing a great job already teaching your little ones to do chores and be helpful.