Monday, March 19, 2012

A Passion and a Hobby

I remember as a little girl spending hours and hours at a time at this fabric warehouse with my mom. They had bins and bins of fabric to search through. They also had this floor scale I remember. It was HUGE...okay, huge in a 5 yr old's eyes. I remember my baby brother falling asleep in the bins of fabric as mom continued to search through the bins for all of the perfect pieces. Then I remember my mom sewing for hours and hours. I was amazed at how fast her machine would move. She has an industrial sewing machine that is huge and runs like a champion. This machine, by far, is still my favorite, even though mom has only given me the privilege of using it a few times.

I bought my first sewing machine, a Singer, from an antique shop for $15. It was the kind of machine that is attached to a cabinet and it drops down into the cabinet and then becomes a table. I have a bit of a confession...I have 5 sewing machines, three of them work and three of them are the kind that come in the table. One of them is an old Singer with a peddle foot. I am in love with sewing machines, especially antiques. With my first Singer, I made all of the decorative pieces for our wedding and had a marvelous time with it too. I don't use this machine anymore. I have moved on to bigger and better! Ha! I have a Brother sewing machine and a Husqvarna that are now my two main machines. I love the Husqvarna and how easy it is. So, my hobby of sewing occasionally when I was unmarried, has become a passion since I have my own kids. I must admit, I don't sew as much for Josiah as I do for Bethany. I have made many pairs of pants for Josiah, and he has worn them out, but for Bethany I have made pants, hats, dresses, aprons, and blankets for her animals. I love to sew! I especially love to sew little girls clothes, especially dresses. There is just something about a little girls dress looking so sweet and pretty on her. I must admit, it almost makes me want to put dresses on Bethany all of the time!

I have a desire to sell what I make, but have either not hit the right venue as of yet, or have no marketing abilities [this much is true!]. I have tried to sell things on etsy.com to no avail and I have sold a couple of things over facebook, but I am not sure I want to have a facebook account for business. So, right now I am praying for the right thing to come along and trying to think about how to market the items I make. I have received much encouragement, as of late, to try to start selling things again, so this is something I am praying hard about. Anyway, I leave you with my two latest creations.



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I learned to sew on Aunt Marteca's industrial machines. I was always a bit afraid of them eating my fingers. I don't like sewing. but I wish I did now and then...especially when there are so many beautiful fabrics.