Friday, October 17, 2008

The Nesting Syndrome

Okay, so I am roughly 6-7 wks away from having another baby and let me tell you, the nesting syndrome has kicked into overdrive with me. It is different this time around for me because with my DS, Josiah, I was put on bedrest at 32 weeks because of preeclampsia and high blood pressure. Whatever didn't get done before bedrest either didn't get done, my husband did it, or some of my dear friends and family came over and helped out to get things done while I delegated with my feet propped up. This time, so far and praise the Lord, I have not required bedrest. I tell you, though, I am going crazy. There are so many things around the house I see doing and I just don't know when I will ever get them done. Some say the "nesting syndrome" comes around because women need something to do to pass the time until the baby comes [must have been a man who said that!]. Some say it is just an indwelling desire to organize and have everything perfect. For me, I know...beyond any doubt...that I am going through the nesting syndrome because I feel like I will not be able to get ANYTHING done after this DD comes along. It is already hard enough to get much done with a beautiful toddling Josiah under my feet most of the day and I just know that it won't get any easier with # 2. So, after having shared all of this, let me share why I haven't posted in a while:

I have thoroughly cleaned the baby's room from top to bottom, including all of the baby girls clothes in drawers and organized with all of the beautiful dresses we have been given hung in the closet neatly. The drawers have been accurately labeled for the sake of my DH who may not be able to find things other wise. I have also cleaned out DS drawers and they only hold the clothes that he can wear right now and throught the winter. They have also been categorized and labeled. We took down the Thomas the Train table from DS's room and put it downstairs in what we now call the "play room". I have set up our beautiful $2 changing table that we found at a yard sale [with not a scratch or problem on it!] with a diaper changing pad I made out of my remaining Noah's Ark material, set with everything at hand for when the new baby arrives. I also have dusted/swept/mopped and rotated all of the toys and stuffed animals so DS will have "new toys" in his room to play with. We pulled up the crib mattress gave it a good cleaning with soap and water [why you ask? It just seemed important at the time!] and replaced the bumper pads and sheets. All clothes too big or too little have been stored for now by my wonderful husband. Consider the baby's room done [until next week, when I am sure I will find more to do in there!]

We set up a play room in our computer room so not all of the toys will be underfoot when you first walk in the door. We have set up the Thomas the Train Table with the tracks and the trains, several baskets of toys are accessible, the pac n play has been set up for the little girl I babysit to nap in [and it is thoroughly cleaned out! YAY!] Baby toys have been categorized and stored for at least a few months until the baby has need for them. Books have been put on a little kids shelf for reading enjoyment. All other items have been stored in the basement for now. The computer desk has been cleaned off and organized and all of my sewing materials/equipment have been stored within easy reach. Dusting/sweeping/mopping have all been taken care of!

I have gotten rid of or sold toys that are not played with or not desired by me anymore, toy box has been organized [I know, stupid idea...it already needs it again!]. Laundry Room and Diningd Room have received a thorough detailing. The kitchen is another story. I am working on that today and taking a break from it for now. At least all of the dishes are done and supper is cooking in the crockpot!

The pantry will be tackled this weekend and organized...it will take a while! The bathroom was emptied from top to bottom, scrubbed down from top to bottom and only necessary things were put back in the bathroom to be organized and straightened.

Our master bedroom, where the baby will sleep, probably for a few months at least, has been cleaned from top to bottom, organized and the baby corner has been set up for when the baby comes home.

Oh my goodness! As I write this, it seems there are so many other things that are needed to be done! I can't believe I am writing about it instead of doing it.

Well, having said that, happy cleaning/nesting or doing nothing for the rest of the week!

2 comments:

Rebekah Sacran said...

Oh my goodness! You need to come visit me before this goes away!

Lepidoptera said...

Yes, when can you come to my house? I can find plenty to do and prepare you for life with 2+1. ;-)