Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Let me back track to Monday...

Monday I took DD, Bethany, to her 1 month check up [what?!?! she's 1 month old?!?!]. My little girl was a trooper! She is doing well in all areas and is not putting on a lot of weight, but she has put on some height! My little girl is 24 inches long! Her little pants I had on her today look like baby capris! Okay, back to her weight...she has not made it back up to her birth weight yet, and these were words I dreaded hearing, because I knew the song and dance...the doctor and nurse were going to go on and on and on about how I must not be making enough milk, how I need to supplement, and how we must get the baby's weight up. Well, I went in with confidence and would not let them tell me I wasn't making enough milk or that I needed to switch to formula, etc. I think these doctors and nurses prey on the mothers who seem unsure of themselves and less confident! Not a word at all was said to me about formula this visit. Of course, it would be great if she was back up to her birth weight, but she is close enough, and she has put on over a pound since leaving the hospital [born 8'7", lost down to 7'3", now weighs 8'5"] so I think they were pleased. Anyway, a heart murmur was not at all detected, yet a follow up appointment with the cardiologist is still in order. If you recall, Bethany had three little holes in her heart that had not closed after she was born, and she had a pretty bad heart murmur the first day after she was born, but it has not been heard again since then. All in all, we had a great check up, so we will now just wait and see what the cardiologist says.

1 comment:

Lepidoptera said...

Glad to hear about the great checkup. Our first's doctor fussed for her whole year about her lack of weight gain but never mentioned formula. As inexperienced as I was, I think that I would have stood my ground and said, "no!". Instead his perpetual theme was "increase caloric intake". Well, in the long run I think that he finally figured out that she takes after her mother and is just fine. She's just the way God made her to be.