Friday, January 30, 2009

Of Crockpots, Washing Machines and Taxes

Last Thursday I declared the week of the crockpot and what a week it was!!! I loved cooking in the crockpot every day. It was so less time consuming than standing over the stove and oven for a while. I will summarize just a little on each meal:
Crockpot Spaghetti: Sorry, but it was nasty! I would have been better off buying a jar of Ragu and mixing it in with some meat! I won't try this one again, but that's okay.
Basil Chicken: This was so easy to make and it was delicious! It turned out to have somewhat of a lemony flavor. Danny asked me to serve this one again and soon!
Chicken Breasts Supreme: This was as easy as the Basil Chicken and as good. This will be another meal soon as well.
Yankee Pot Roast: I liked this a lot, but it turned out really watery and the carrots did not get completely done in the alotted time. This was frustrating for me because the carrots are my favorite part. I had to cook it about 4 hours longer than instructed. I might try this one again but I will have to play with the cooking instructions!
I will have a couple of crockpot meals this week, but we have such a hectic schedule that only two nights this week we will be able to have classes together. I don't like this, but it is for a good reason. Danny has some classes that he needs to take and it is time...I am going to miss him this next week...it seems like he will hardly be around!

Well, it has happened! Old Faithful, our washing machine, has croaked. She was a good girl for 17 years until her insides gave out. She became leaky and non-agitating, and her motor just quit. Well, as sad as I am, her replacement will arrive sometime tomorrow. I am excited because I enjoy doing the laundry as long as I don't have to put it away. I will wash/dry/fold all day if I have to, and Danny is kind enough to do the carrying up and down the stairs and more likely than not, it is Danny who puts the clothes away [thank you, honey!!!]. So, I can't wait to use our new gadget. The scary thing is, they say these things go in threes, so I have been watching my freezer and refrigerator diligently and praying they don't conk out on us too!

T'is the season to do your taxes! Guess what?!?! I finished mine last night!!! When you file taxes, if you do not have a lot of extra stuff, but just basic filing, I truly recommend hrblock.com because I have used them the past three years and they make filing state and federal taxes a breeze. More power to you if you can do them on your own...you are more skilled than I! Anyway, hrblock.com walks you through step by step and exxplains things to you thoroughly as you go along. It really is simple to file this way. I am glad we are done, and all I can say is: "I love refunds!!!". I know, getting a refund means you loan money to the government interest free for a year, but I have always enjoyed getting a lump sum refund because it actually makes me feel like I have some money... Happy Tax Season!!!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I use the crockpot from time to time -- mostly for making Italian beef (get a hunka beef [I go for whatever is cheapest, usually chuck] and cook it with pepperoncinis [and the juice] and beef broth, for at least 6 hours -- until the meat practically falls apart). I've seen recipes for crockpot spaghetti, but I've never made it because spag. is so easy, why cook it in the crockpot all day, y'know?

Crockpot tip / random factoid for the day -- every time you open the lid, so much heat escapes that you'll have to add 30 minutes of cooking time!

Christiana said...

Ohhh, I forgot about Italian Beef. I used to make that a lot...it is sooooo goooooood. :)

Liz said...

I didn't realize you had a blog too...I can't keep up with all these blogs and facebook these days. I can't even keep up with our own blog, let alone read everyone's blog that I'd like to. Anyway, I have a great crockpot recipe you should try...I'll try to e-mail it to you sometime this week. It is called angel chicken...it is delicious!! Even my picky eater DH loves it. Maybe I'll make it this week. :)